Come ready to have fun! Our auditions are part formal audition and part fun theatre workshop. We try to make sure every student is comfortable, confident and ready to succeed!
Students must be 9 years or older at the time of the auditions.
Students must have participated and completed a DJT class or camp to audition. Class and Camp info here.
Students must pre-register for their audition day and time, completing comprehensive online form.
Students should expect to stay the entire time of the audition scheduled.
Open to residents of any city, not just Davenport.
Students only need to attend one audition time.
Get information about special audition workshop for those who want to practice their skills or learn more about auditions before they happen.
Do I need to prepare a monologue?
Whether a play or a musical, students must prepare a short monologue, no longer than 60 seconds. Shorter than 60 seconds is a-okay! In fact, even 20 seconds is fine. Must be memorized, so director can work with students. Monologues longer than 60 seconds will be asked to stop, as we have many actors to see.
- Students should NOT write original monologues. Please find another piece of literature (play, novel, monologue, book, nursery rhyme, poem, short story, etc.) from which to perform. Find something that is fun and that you, the actor, are excited to perform. Short book passages or fun poems/nursery rhymes often make great material for a children’s theatre audition.
- Remember, you are auditioning for a fantastical and adventurous show geared towards young audiences. Avoid performing extremely dramatic or depressing material. Fit your monologue to the show at hand.
Will I need to sing?
Only if the show is a musical will students need to prepare a short song. Charlotte's Web is not a musical. Musical auditions will be in December.
- Song should be one verse and one chorus from a musical theatre show (not to exceed 45 seconds, shorter is definitely a-okay).
- Pick a song that comfortably fits your voice. Please avoid pop songs, prefer musical theatre.
- Bring sheet music for the accompanist (piano player). Sheet music for most songs is available at www.musicnotes.com. You may also sing acapella (without music), but music is preferred.
- If you do not have musical number but would like to audition for musical, we can have you sing some stuff along with the piano too.
- If you do not fancy yourself a singer, pick something simple and approachable for fun (like “Happy Birthday”). Just relax, be you, have fun and sing out!
What do I wear?
Students should wear comfortable clothes for theatrical warm-ups & games at auditions. No skirts, please.
When and where will the cast and crew be announced?
The Cast, Crew, and other positions will be announced on this page. Specific dates for announcements will be found with the audition dates when posted.
Are there any expenses?
There is no charge to audition. All students cast in the production will need to pay a $75.00 Mainstage Actor Registration Fee. All student crew will need to pay a $45.00 Crew Registration Fee.
What to bring to audition for schedules?
- Schedules for each show will be posted when shows are announced. With more details on registration form.
- We now do all auditions by pre-registration online. This let's us collect all your schedule information. For the form, please be prepared to list all scheduled conflicts you will have during the rehearsal period (vacations, school commitments, other classes, DJT classes, etc). It is helpful to make this list in advance before beginning the online form.
- We build our schedules from your schedules. Every effort will be made to accommodate for students' schedules and conflicts. However, during our last 10 days of rehearsal, “Tech Week,” we ask that students be fully available.
- Please include any Davenport Junior Theatre classses (Theatre or Dance). We may not catch you are already scheduled in one of our classes with so many kids auditioning.
How much time will my child commit?
Rehearsals typically happen over a period of 4-6 weeks. Typically students rehearse one to two days a week, around 2 – 3 hours at a time. During the final 10 days of the production, students will likely have 8 out of 10 days where we are rehearsing in the theatre. Leading roles can rehearse as much as 4-5 days a week, approximately 3 hours at a time. An option to play a “supporting role” only is available, if your child is too busy or needs to meet other oblivations.
Musicals generally require many more rehearsals than plays.
During the final 10 days of rehearsal we really insist the students commit to all rehearsals. Typically we will have 5-6 rehearsals a week, running the whole show. Unlike a sport where you can change out the position, theatre is complicated and everyone’s role is unique.
For performances, we run two weekends. Saturdays & Sundays shows are at 1pm & 4pm. We also have some Wednesday afterschool shows for school groups at 3:30pm. This will require your child to leave school early on two Wednesdays (at 1:30pm) to come get ready for the show. This is never an issue with schools, as they are supportive of what kids learn here at DJT.
Specific show details are released when auditions for each show are announced.
All students must pre-register at this link. Please note you will need your schedule handy to complete this form. Typically takes 5 - 7 minutes to complete. Please complete with your child or your parent. It should be done together.
Monday, August 20 / 5:15-7:15pm
Wednesday, August 22 / 5:15-7:15pm
Sunday, August 26 / 1:00-3:00pm
There is no fee to audition.
New to auditioning or just want to shake off the rust before the DJT audition? Our audition workshop is geared to help students have the most successful audition possible and get the nerves out! Our workshop is fun & interactive. Students should come with their monologues prepared so we can offer advice (prefer memorized but not necessary). We will also do other fun games and activities to get you ready to succeed!
Sunday, August 12 / 2:00-4:00pm
Only pay registration fee below if you intend to take the workshop.
No current audition results posted.
ARE YOU PART OF THE CAST & CREW?
Please select the below corresponding fee for registering as crew or an actor. Registration is due by first day of rehearsal.
Actor: $75 Crew: $45