Audition Dates for Hansel & Gretel
Tuesday, August 18 : 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Thursday, August 20 : 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Saturday, August 22 : 9:00am – 11:00am
(Auditions for Velveteen Rabbit and Aladdin are TBA. Will be held in December.)
* Students must be 9 years or older at the time of the auditions.
* Students must have participated and completed a DJT class or camp program to audition. Click here to learn more about our theatre classes.
* Open to residents of any city, not just Davenport.
* Students should be ready to provide a conflict schedule for the whole rehearsal period of the show(s) for which they audition (see schedule below).
* Students must prepare a short monologue, no longer than 60 seconds. Must be memorized, so director can work with students. Monologues longer than 60 seconds will be asked to stop, as we have many actors to see. Please also bring in a written copy of your monologue to turn in.
* Students should NOT write original monologues. Please find another piece of literature (play, novel, monologue, book, nursery rhyme, poem, short story, etc.) from which to perform. Find something that is fun and that you, the actor, are excited to perform.
* Remember, you are auditioning for a fantastical and adventurous show geared towards young audiences. Avoid bringing in a extremely dramatic, depressing material. Fit your monologue to the show at hand.
* Students should wear comfortable clothes for theatrical warm-ups & games at auditions. No skirts, please. Come ready to have fun!
* The Cast, Crew, and other positions will be announced on Tuesday, August 25 at 5:00pm on the DJT website in the Mainstage section. Guidance will be given on the website to those who are and who may not have been cast.
* Please note: All students cast in the production will need to pay a $75.00 Mainstage Registration Fee. There is no charge to audition.
* Be ready to have fun!
Some students may only be interested in joining us for Tech Crew working backstage, on lights, with sound, etc. Actors also have the chance to mark down if they are also interested in being on crew. It is a great chance to be involved, learn, and hang out with kids as excited as you are about the theatre! If you have an interest in only doing tech crew, please still come to the auditions. You will need to complete audition forms and participate in large group warm up and activities. You do NOT need to prepare a monologue if your only interest is Tech Crew. $40 Mainstage Registration Fee if selected for crew.
Supporting Role! (For busy students!)
New on our audition forms will be the option to select “supporting role only.” This lets us know you do not have time to commit to a leading role. We have some great supporting roles in both shows! These roles offer fun, exciting, and challenging stuff with a more limited time commitment for busy students. (Supporting actors are still required to be fully available for tech week).
Students also have the chance to sign up to be part of our Front-of-House team. It takes a small army to run the theatre on the day of the show! We train our Front-of-House team in box office management, concession sales, customer relations, and more. We strive to make every opportunity for kids to be involved. There is much to learn on the front-of-house team!
* Please bring a detailed copy of your schedule to auditions.
* Every effort will be made to accommodate students' schedules and conflicts.
* At auditions, please be prepared to inform the staff of all scheduled conflicts you will have during the rehearsal period. It is helpful to make this list in advance before arriving at the audition.
* If only auditioning for one show, we only need schedule for that timeline.
Schedule Overview – Hansel & Gretel
Saturday, September 5 – Friday, October 16
(Schedule will be created after auditions. We try to take into consideration student schedules.)
Wednesday, October 7 – Friday, October 16
(Please, no conflicts from October 7th on. It is vital that students are there throughout tech process and for final rehearsals. Unlike a sport, we cannot have just anyone fill in.)
Saturday, October 17 at 1:00pm & 4:00pm
Sunday, October 18 at 2:00pm
Saturday, October 24 at 1:00pm & 4:00pm
Sunday, October 25 at 2:00pm
Take a look at our past Mainstage productions!